Getting Back on Track

No more procrastinating. I have to get back on track and get out of this funky mood I've been in for four months. I've been really busy and yet I feel like I haven't done anything constructive. You ever get in one of those moods where you are just mad or dislike everything? Food doesn't taste good, clothes don't feel good, bad hair days, bad face days, ya just want to crawl under and rock and sleep all day days. My two forms of entertainment lately have either been eating or sleeping. I'm one of those "emotional eaters". I get my feelings hurt....I eat. I get upset.....I eat. Depressed......eat. A celebration or a happy occassion......We EAT!!! Ugh!!! I spent the first five months of this year sweating and working my butt off and watching what I eat to loose 15 pounds. It only took two and a half to gain it all back!!! It's September 1st and I am making a vow that starting tomorrow I am going to get back on track and stay on track through the end of the year. Back to exercising, back to working out, back to eating healthy!!!! No more procrastinating! No more excuses! (although I did have some pretty good ones) Cracked my elbow, chipped my thumb, had my heart broken, and broke my toe. All of which were excuses to pig out or not work out.

Fortunately, most of those have healed and life will go on. I just need to stay focused and make healthy choices for myself, physically and emotionally. Now, check out this new cake recipe!!! Ha Ha!

Monday, October 15, 2012

Hearty Tuscan Beef and Red Wine Stew

4 ounces pancetta, cut into 1/4 inch dice

4 tbsps. extra virgin olive oil, divided

3 pounds boneless beef chuck, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 medium yellow onion peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice

2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice

2 large celery ribs, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch dice

4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced

2 tbsps. minced fresh rosemary leaves

2 tbsps. all purpose flour

3 tbsps. tomato paste

1 bottle fruity, dry red wine, such as Chianti or Merlot

2 cups low sodium beef broth, plus more as needed

1 28 ounce can diced Italian plum tomatoes

2 dried bay leaves

6 tbsps. minced fresh Italian flat lea parsley, divided

Place pancetta in a large Dutch oven and heat over medium heat.  Cook, stirring occasionally until fat is rendered and pancetta is crispy, about 6 to 8 minutes.  Using a slotted spoon or spider, transfer pancetta to paper towel lined plate.  Set aside.

Add 2 tablespoons oil to Dutch oven and heat over medium high heat until hot but not smoking.  Season beef generously on all sides with salt and pepper.  Place in Dutch oven and cook, stirring occasionally, until beef is well browned on all sides, about 7 to 9 minutes.  Using a slotted spoon or spider, transfer beef to a medium mixing bowl, set aside.

Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to Dutch oven.  Add onion, carrot and celery and cook stirring occasionally until vegetables are golden brown about 8 to 10 minutes.  Add garlic and rosemary and cook, stirring often for 2 to 3 minutes.   Sprinkle vegetables with flour and cook, stirring often for 1 to 2 minutes.  Add tomato paste and cook, stirring often for another 2 to 3 minutes.  Add wine, beef broth, tomatoes, bay leaves, 3 tablespoons parsley and meat, stirring well to combine.  Reduce heat to medium low, partially cover Dutch oven and simmer until meat is tender, about 2 1/2 to 3 hours adding 1/4 cups of additional beef broth if stew becomes dry.  To serve, divide stew between 8 shallow serving bowls.  Top with reserved pancetta, remaining 3 tablespoons chopped parsley and serve immediately. 

0This is a recipe I got from Sur La Table cooking class.  I need to have a talk with the chef about all of these “stir often 1-2, 2-3, etc. minutes).  I love to cook with wine and this stew has a whole bottle in it.  I think maybe I could have use 3/4 of the bottle as mine turned out pretty strong on the wine taste.  It cooked down some after the 3 hours of cooking time but I don’t remember it having this strong of a taste in the class.  It’s a good, savory stew and the meat turns out really tender.  When the stew was finished cooking I added about 2 tablespoons of sugar to balance out the acid from the tomatoes, wine and salt.  This tamed it down a bit.  Sometimes you have to do that when there is tomatoes and tomato paste involved in your dish.  I fell in love with this stew at the cooking class.  Serve it with some good crusty bread and a green salad this fall!  Yum!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment