Getting Back on Track

No more procrastinating. I have to get back on track and get out of this funky mood I've been in for four months. I've been really busy and yet I feel like I haven't done anything constructive. You ever get in one of those moods where you are just mad or dislike everything? Food doesn't taste good, clothes don't feel good, bad hair days, bad face days, ya just want to crawl under and rock and sleep all day days. My two forms of entertainment lately have either been eating or sleeping. I'm one of those "emotional eaters". I get my feelings hurt....I eat. I get upset.....I eat. Depressed......eat. A celebration or a happy occassion......We EAT!!! Ugh!!! I spent the first five months of this year sweating and working my butt off and watching what I eat to loose 15 pounds. It only took two and a half to gain it all back!!! It's September 1st and I am making a vow that starting tomorrow I am going to get back on track and stay on track through the end of the year. Back to exercising, back to working out, back to eating healthy!!!! No more procrastinating! No more excuses! (although I did have some pretty good ones) Cracked my elbow, chipped my thumb, had my heart broken, and broke my toe. All of which were excuses to pig out or not work out.

Fortunately, most of those have healed and life will go on. I just need to stay focused and make healthy choices for myself, physically and emotionally. Now, check out this new cake recipe!!! Ha Ha!

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Pioneer Woman Cooks - Chicken Fried Steak

3 pounds of cube steak
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups milk, plus 2 cups for the gravy
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus about 1/3 cup for the gravy
2 tsps seasoned salt, such as Lawry's
3/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil for frying

Photo by Ree Drummond
Begin with an assembly line of dishes for the meat, milk-egg mixture and flour mixture with a clean plate at the end to receive the breaded meat.  Beat eggs and 1 cup of milk with a fork.  Mix flour with the seasoned salt, paprika, cayenne and black pepper.  Lightly season a piece of meat with salt and pepper, then dip it into the egg-milk mixture, flip to the other side to coat.  Next place the meat on the plate of seasoned flour.  Turn over to coat thoroughly.  Place the meat back in the egg/milk mixture, turning to coat.  Finally dredge in flour one more time.  This repetition will create a nice, thick crust.  Place breaded meat on empty plate until ready to fry and repeat the process with the remaining pieces of meat.  Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high  heat.  When the oil is sufficiently heated fry 3 pieces of meat at a time.  Cook on one side until the edges start to look golden brown about 2 1/2 minutes.  Turn over and cook for 2 - 3 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove and drain on a paper towel.  After frying all the meat pour off the grease into a heatproof bowl.  Without cleaning the pan return it to the stove over medium-low heat.  Add 1/4 cup grease back to the pan.  Allow grease to heat up and sprinkle 1/3 cup of flour evenly over grease.  Whisk together and add more flour if it seems to greasy.  After a couple of minutes it will start to turn golden brown and is ready for the milk.  Whisk in 2 cups of milk.  Cook for 5 to 10 minutes.  If it seems to thick add more milk.  Salt and pepper to taste. 

This was very tasty chicken fried steak.  My daddy thought it was really good and he is a chicken fried steak connoisseur.  It's pretty much the way my mother makes it with the exception of the cayenne pepper, seasoned salt and paprika.  You just can't go wrong with this dish!  Yum!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment