Getting Back on Track

No more procrastinating. I have to get back on track and get out of this funky mood I've been in for four months. I've been really busy and yet I feel like I haven't done anything constructive. You ever get in one of those moods where you are just mad or dislike everything? Food doesn't taste good, clothes don't feel good, bad hair days, bad face days, ya just want to crawl under and rock and sleep all day days. My two forms of entertainment lately have either been eating or sleeping. I'm one of those "emotional eaters". I get my feelings hurt....I eat. I get upset.....I eat. Depressed......eat. A celebration or a happy occassion......We EAT!!! Ugh!!! I spent the first five months of this year sweating and working my butt off and watching what I eat to loose 15 pounds. It only took two and a half to gain it all back!!! It's September 1st and I am making a vow that starting tomorrow I am going to get back on track and stay on track through the end of the year. Back to exercising, back to working out, back to eating healthy!!!! No more procrastinating! No more excuses! (although I did have some pretty good ones) Cracked my elbow, chipped my thumb, had my heart broken, and broke my toe. All of which were excuses to pig out or not work out.

Fortunately, most of those have healed and life will go on. I just need to stay focused and make healthy choices for myself, physically and emotionally. Now, check out this new cake recipe!!! Ha Ha!

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Pioneer Woman Cooks - Chicken Spaghetti

1 cut up fryer chicken
1 pound thin spaghetti, broken into 2 inch pieces
One 4 ounce jar diced pimientos, drained
1 small onion
1/4 cup finely diced green bell pepper
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
2 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1 tsp seasoned salt, such as Lawry's
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Add the chicken to a stock pot, cover with water and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the chicken is cooked, about 25 minutes.  Remove the chicken from the water and set aside to cool.  Remove 2 cups of broth from the pot and set aside.  Bring the remaining broth back to a boil and add the spaghetti.  Cook it al dente.  Drain the spaghetti and set aside.  Remove the chicken from the bones, shred or cut the meat into bite-size chunks.  Dice the onion and green pepper.  Place the cooked spaghetti in a large bowl, add the cream of mushroom soup, 2 cups of cheddar cheese, onion, green pepper and pimiento.  Add the seasoned salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper.  Take it easy on the cayenne if you can't handle the heat.  Finally, add the chicken and broth.  Stir together well then salt and pepper to taste.  Pour mixture into a large baking pan and top with remaining 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese.  Bake for 35 - 45 minutes until bubbly.
Photo by Ree Drummond
Now, let me tell you about chicken spaghetti.  Remember how I said that my daddy was a chicken fried steak connoisseur?  Well the women in my family are the same way about this dish.  We loves us some chicken spaghetti!!  I made a batch today as a matter of fact.  This recipe from The Pioneer Woman was good but it was not the chicken spaghetti we make around our house.  And don't even think of making this particular recipe if your sister is in the kitchen!  When I made this, she was breathin' down my neck and pestering me like a heckler at an amateur comedy club.  "Did you use cream of mushroom soup?"  "Did you use Velvetta?"  "Did you put in a can of corn?"  Nag, nag, nag!  I can't say that I'd probably have done the same thing if I was witnessing the assembly of a dearly loved recipe that lacked the ingredients that we're use to.  We set the bar pretty high when it comes to chicken spaghetti.  The Pioneer Woman's is good, but we think ours is better.  Here's how I made today's batch:

3 boneless, skinless chicken breast
olive oil
salt and pepper
1 green pepper
1 small onion
3 cups uncooked mini farfalla
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can of medium rotel tomatoes
1 small can of mexi corn
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 - 1/2 cup whipping cream

Heat oven to 400 degrees, prepare chicken and drizzle with olive oil then salt and pepper.  Roast in the oven for 35 - 45 minutes until golden brown.  Remove from oven and allow to cool.  Cook farfalla according to package, drain and set aside.  Dice green pepper and onion and saute in a pan with olive oil until tender.  Combine cream of mushroom soup, rotel tomatoes and corn in a sauce pan on medium-high heat.  When mixture starts to bubble add cheddar cheese and 1/4 cup of whipping cream.  Heat until cheese is melted.  Add onions and peppers to soup mixture.  Slice chicken into bite size pieces.  In a large bowl combine chicken, drained farfalla and soup mixture.  If mixture is too dry add another 1/4 cup whipping cream.  Mix well then season to taste with salt and pepper.  Place in a casserole dish and top with additional shredded cheese, return to the oven and heat until bubbly. 




No comments:

Post a Comment