Getting Back on Track

No more procrastinating. I have to get back on track and get out of this funky mood I've been in for four months. I've been really busy and yet I feel like I haven't done anything constructive. You ever get in one of those moods where you are just mad or dislike everything? Food doesn't taste good, clothes don't feel good, bad hair days, bad face days, ya just want to crawl under and rock and sleep all day days. My two forms of entertainment lately have either been eating or sleeping. I'm one of those "emotional eaters". I get my feelings hurt....I eat. I get upset.....I eat. Depressed......eat. A celebration or a happy occassion......We EAT!!! Ugh!!! I spent the first five months of this year sweating and working my butt off and watching what I eat to loose 15 pounds. It only took two and a half to gain it all back!!! It's September 1st and I am making a vow that starting tomorrow I am going to get back on track and stay on track through the end of the year. Back to exercising, back to working out, back to eating healthy!!!! No more procrastinating! No more excuses! (although I did have some pretty good ones) Cracked my elbow, chipped my thumb, had my heart broken, and broke my toe. All of which were excuses to pig out or not work out.

Fortunately, most of those have healed and life will go on. I just need to stay focused and make healthy choices for myself, physically and emotionally. Now, check out this new cake recipe!!! Ha Ha!

Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Pioneer Woman Cooks - Lasagna

1 tbsp olive oil
salt
10 ounces lasagna noodles
1 pound mozzarella cheese
1 1/2 pounds hamburger
1 pound hot breakfast sausage
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
Two 14.5 ounce cans whole tomatoes
Two 6 ounce cans tomato paste
Freshly ground black pepper
10 to 12 basil leaves
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
3cups low-fat cottage cheese
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Bring a large pot of water to boil, add the olive oil and a dash of salt.  Cook the lasagna noodles according to the package directions until al dente.  Drain the noodles and lay them flat on a piece of aluminum foil.  Grate the mozzarella cheese and set aside.  In a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute the hamburger, sausage and garlic until brown.  Drain off the excess fat.  Add the tomatoes with their juice, tomato paste, 1/2 teaspoon salt and freshly ground black pepper.  Stir together well.  Simmer over low heat, uncovered, for 45 minutes stirring occasionally.  Chop the basil and parsley fine, adding half the herbs to the meat mixture and stir together.  In a medium bowl combine the cottage cheese, eggs, 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese and the rest of the herbs.  Stir together well. 

Begin assembling the lasagna by laying 4 noodles in the bottom of a deep rectangular baking pan.  The noodles should slightly overlap.  Spoon half the cottage cheese mixture onto the noodles and spread evenly.  Sprinkle half the mozzarella on top of the cottage cheese mixture.  Spoon just under half the meat mixture on top of the mozzarella.  Spread evenly being careful not to disrupt the layers below.  Now repeat the process beginning with a layer of lasagna noodles followed by the cottage cheese mixture followed by the mozzarella and ending with a thick layer of the meat mixture.  Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of Parmesan over the top.  Bake for 35 - 45 minutes until the lasagna is hot and bubbly.  Allow to stand 10 minutes before cutting into squares.  Lasagna can be fully assembled and frozen unbaked.

This one gets a "10"!  As soon as we sat down to dinner my three guys took their first bite and one of them said 'you can make this again!' and with their mouths still full the other two nodded and agreed.  This was probably the best lasagna I've ever eaten.  I think it was the combination of the two meats and the way you mix together the cottage cheese and eggs together along with the herbs that made it so tasty.  I've never added eggs to a lasagna so that was new for me and the simmering of the sauce for 45 minutes seemed a little too long but other than that it was easy to make and a joy to eat!  Plus, it makes a huge pan full so if you need to feed a crowd this should be your go to meal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment