Getting Back on Track

No more procrastinating. I have to get back on track and get out of this funky mood I've been in for four months. I've been really busy and yet I feel like I haven't done anything constructive. You ever get in one of those moods where you are just mad or dislike everything? Food doesn't taste good, clothes don't feel good, bad hair days, bad face days, ya just want to crawl under and rock and sleep all day days. My two forms of entertainment lately have either been eating or sleeping. I'm one of those "emotional eaters". I get my feelings hurt....I eat. I get upset.....I eat. Depressed......eat. A celebration or a happy occassion......We EAT!!! Ugh!!! I spent the first five months of this year sweating and working my butt off and watching what I eat to loose 15 pounds. It only took two and a half to gain it all back!!! It's September 1st and I am making a vow that starting tomorrow I am going to get back on track and stay on track through the end of the year. Back to exercising, back to working out, back to eating healthy!!!! No more procrastinating! No more excuses! (although I did have some pretty good ones) Cracked my elbow, chipped my thumb, had my heart broken, and broke my toe. All of which were excuses to pig out or not work out.

Fortunately, most of those have healed and life will go on. I just need to stay focused and make healthy choices for myself, physically and emotionally. Now, check out this new cake recipe!!! Ha Ha!

Friday, January 27, 2012

Chicken Divan

3 - 4 chicken breast, skinned and boiled in salt water for 1 1/2 hours.  Drain and de-bone
1 package frozen broccoli
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp curry powder
bread crumbs
shredded cheese
butter

Butter a casserole dish and preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cook broccoli according to package directions.  Drain any liquid and place broccoli in the bottom of buttered casserole dish.  Shred chicken and place over broccoli.  Mix together the sauce:  cream of chicken soup, mayonnaise, lemon juice and curry powder.  Pour sauce over chicken.  Sprinkle bread crumbs over sauce and top with shredded cheese.  (cheddar, longhorn or Velvetta will work)  Bake for 25 minutes.

If my husband were reviewing this recipe he would have just one thing to say....Yuck!  He doesn't care for this dish and I'll tell you why.  When we were dating in high school and he would come over for dinner, 9 times out of 10 this was the meal we were having.  He calls this dish Chicken On A Couch.  I think that in the beginning he might have liked it a little, but after having it served to him over and over and over he now almost all but refuses to eat it.  (He's getting it for dinner tonight whether he likes it or not!)  The rest of the family really likes this dish.  It's easy to prepare and looks and taste like you went to a lot of trouble to make it.  Serve it with a salad and garlic bread and you'll be a hit with your dinner crowd.  It's really very good especially if you appreciate the taste of curry.  We have been married for 29 years, 1 month and 22 days and this is the first time I have ever made this dish for my family.  THAT's how much my husband does not care for the dish.  I'd be willing to bet that he eats a second helping.  Usually when I make something he is not a fan of I try to disguise it as something else.  Like the times when we were on a budget and I made Hamburger Helper for dinner.  I would make it look as attractive as possible making sure to throw the box away so he wouldn't catch on.  He would usually eat it without any suspensions.  One thing I can't get by him is instant mashed potatoes.  He can spot those babies a mile away.  No matter how much I try to mask what they really are he always knows when they are instant.  Anyway, don't let his opinion of this dish sway your vote.  Try it, you will be pleasantly surprised.

P.S.  I stand corrected.  He only ate one helping.  He really does dislike it!

No comments:

Post a Comment