Getting Back on Track

No more procrastinating. I have to get back on track and get out of this funky mood I've been in for four months. I've been really busy and yet I feel like I haven't done anything constructive. You ever get in one of those moods where you are just mad or dislike everything? Food doesn't taste good, clothes don't feel good, bad hair days, bad face days, ya just want to crawl under and rock and sleep all day days. My two forms of entertainment lately have either been eating or sleeping. I'm one of those "emotional eaters". I get my feelings hurt....I eat. I get upset.....I eat. Depressed......eat. A celebration or a happy occassion......We EAT!!! Ugh!!! I spent the first five months of this year sweating and working my butt off and watching what I eat to loose 15 pounds. It only took two and a half to gain it all back!!! It's September 1st and I am making a vow that starting tomorrow I am going to get back on track and stay on track through the end of the year. Back to exercising, back to working out, back to eating healthy!!!! No more procrastinating! No more excuses! (although I did have some pretty good ones) Cracked my elbow, chipped my thumb, had my heart broken, and broke my toe. All of which were excuses to pig out or not work out.

Fortunately, most of those have healed and life will go on. I just need to stay focused and make healthy choices for myself, physically and emotionally. Now, check out this new cake recipe!!! Ha Ha!

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Grandmother Moody's Pound Cake

1 cup butter or margarine
1 3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 scant nutmeg
1 cup of eggs (about 5)

Cream sugar into butter, add eggs 1 at a time alternately with flour.  Add nutmeg to last part of flour, add vanilla.  Bake 1 hour at 325 degrees or until done in center.

Scant, don't you just love how they use to use cooking terms like that?  I actually have a set of measuring spoons my mother gave me that have the measurements of dash, pinch and smidgen.  I suppose scant falls somewhere between dash and pinch or a sqoash more than smidgen. I have to say that this is by far the most appropriate recipe to start off from the "little tin box".  Her pound cake was infamous!  She use to make these and bring one with her when she came to our house to visit.  It is so buttery and nutmeggy, soft on the inside and had this incredible crust on the outside that I am sorry to report cannot be achieved by anyone else in the family but her.  We can come close, but not like Grandmother use to make.  I'll probably eat half of this cake by tomorrow.  It's good with coffee, hot tea, water, air, etc.  You can't go wrong.  A true comfort food!

Note:  If you haven't read about my Grandmother, keep reading the next post!

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my favorite recipes!! A few months after my daddy died, mother, Stacy, and I went over to Aunt Pete's and she had baked this cake for us.....I took the recipe home with me that day!!! Brenda brown McGahey

    ReplyDelete