Getting Back on Track

No more procrastinating. I have to get back on track and get out of this funky mood I've been in for four months. I've been really busy and yet I feel like I haven't done anything constructive. You ever get in one of those moods where you are just mad or dislike everything? Food doesn't taste good, clothes don't feel good, bad hair days, bad face days, ya just want to crawl under and rock and sleep all day days. My two forms of entertainment lately have either been eating or sleeping. I'm one of those "emotional eaters". I get my feelings hurt....I eat. I get upset.....I eat. Depressed......eat. A celebration or a happy occassion......We EAT!!! Ugh!!! I spent the first five months of this year sweating and working my butt off and watching what I eat to loose 15 pounds. It only took two and a half to gain it all back!!! It's September 1st and I am making a vow that starting tomorrow I am going to get back on track and stay on track through the end of the year. Back to exercising, back to working out, back to eating healthy!!!! No more procrastinating! No more excuses! (although I did have some pretty good ones) Cracked my elbow, chipped my thumb, had my heart broken, and broke my toe. All of which were excuses to pig out or not work out.

Fortunately, most of those have healed and life will go on. I just need to stay focused and make healthy choices for myself, physically and emotionally. Now, check out this new cake recipe!!! Ha Ha!

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Mexican Chocolate Bundt Cake

1 package devil's food cake mix
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/3 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 cup semisweet chocolate mini-morsels, divided
2 tbsp butter
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
3 tbsp milk
1 tbsp vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp shortening
2 tbsp sliced almonds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine first 5 ingredients in a large mixing bowl.  Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.  Stir in 1/2 cup chocolate mini morsels.  Pour batter into a greased and floured 12-cup bundt pan.  Bake for 33 - 35 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.  Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes, remove cake from pan and cool completely on wire rack.  Cook butter, brown sugar, and 2 tbsp milk in a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until sugar is melted.  Remove from heat, stir in vanilla.  Gradually stir in powdered sugar; if glaze is too thick add remaining 1 tsp milk, stirring to desired consistency.  Drizzle glaze over cooled cake.  Microwave remaining 1/2 cup chocolate morsels and shortening in a small bowl on high for 30 seconds or until melted.  Pour melted chocolate into a small zip-top bag.  Snip 1 corner of bag and drizzle over brown sugar glaze.  Sprinkle almonds on cake.

This cake is easy to make, looks impressive and will sure cure your chocolate craving.  You can drizzle as much or as little icing on it as you want.  It's sweet and rich so sometimes less is more on the icing.  The hint of cinnamon is what puts it in a class other than typical chocolate cake.  I made this yesterday for some dear friends who came over for dinner and I'm blogging about it right now to get my mind off the fact that my baby just left to go back to school for the semester.  I'm bummed, I'm sad, so I'm about to have a good cry now and a piece of this cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment