Getting Back on Track

No more procrastinating. I have to get back on track and get out of this funky mood I've been in for four months. I've been really busy and yet I feel like I haven't done anything constructive. You ever get in one of those moods where you are just mad or dislike everything? Food doesn't taste good, clothes don't feel good, bad hair days, bad face days, ya just want to crawl under and rock and sleep all day days. My two forms of entertainment lately have either been eating or sleeping. I'm one of those "emotional eaters". I get my feelings hurt....I eat. I get upset.....I eat. Depressed......eat. A celebration or a happy occassion......We EAT!!! Ugh!!! I spent the first five months of this year sweating and working my butt off and watching what I eat to loose 15 pounds. It only took two and a half to gain it all back!!! It's September 1st and I am making a vow that starting tomorrow I am going to get back on track and stay on track through the end of the year. Back to exercising, back to working out, back to eating healthy!!!! No more procrastinating! No more excuses! (although I did have some pretty good ones) Cracked my elbow, chipped my thumb, had my heart broken, and broke my toe. All of which were excuses to pig out or not work out.

Fortunately, most of those have healed and life will go on. I just need to stay focused and make healthy choices for myself, physically and emotionally. Now, check out this new cake recipe!!! Ha Ha!

Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Pioneer Woman Cooks - Chocolate Sheet Cake

Cake:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
4 heaping tbsps cocoa powder

Icing:
1 3/4 sticks butter
4 heaping tbsps cocoa powder
6 tbsps milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 pound powdered sugar
1/2 c finely chopped pecans (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar and salt.  Stir together and set aside.  In another bowl, mix the buttermilk, eggs, vanilla and baking soda, mix with a fork and set aside.  In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and add the cocoa.  Whisk together to combine.  Bring one cup of water to a boil.  When the butter is melted pour the boiling water in the pan and allow to bubble for a moment then turn off the heat.  Pour the chocolate mixture into the flour mixture.  Stir together to cool the chocolate then pour in the egg mixture.  Stir together until smooth then pour into a ungreased jelly roll pan and bake for 20 minutes.

While the cake is baking, make the icing.  Melt the butter in a sauce pan over medium-low heat.  Add the cocoa powder and stir until smooth.  Add the milk and vanilla and powered sugar, stir together.  Dump in the chopped pecans and stir until well combined.  Immediately after removing the cake from the oven, pour the warm icing over the top.  You'll want to avoid doing much spreading so try to distribute it evenly as you pour.

Photo by Ree Drummond
I made this cake on a Saturday while my sister and her husband were visiting.  I had never made a sheet cake before and I have to say that I was pretty impressed with myself after I made this one.  If you have a craving for chocolate this will take care of it.  It taste just like something you'd get at a church function that was baked by a little ole Sunday school teacher.  Yummy!  I had to make the frosting with half pecans and half plain for the wussies in the family but either way it was a hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment