Getting Back on Track

No more procrastinating. I have to get back on track and get out of this funky mood I've been in for four months. I've been really busy and yet I feel like I haven't done anything constructive. You ever get in one of those moods where you are just mad or dislike everything? Food doesn't taste good, clothes don't feel good, bad hair days, bad face days, ya just want to crawl under and rock and sleep all day days. My two forms of entertainment lately have either been eating or sleeping. I'm one of those "emotional eaters". I get my feelings hurt....I eat. I get upset.....I eat. Depressed......eat. A celebration or a happy occassion......We EAT!!! Ugh!!! I spent the first five months of this year sweating and working my butt off and watching what I eat to loose 15 pounds. It only took two and a half to gain it all back!!! It's September 1st and I am making a vow that starting tomorrow I am going to get back on track and stay on track through the end of the year. Back to exercising, back to working out, back to eating healthy!!!! No more procrastinating! No more excuses! (although I did have some pretty good ones) Cracked my elbow, chipped my thumb, had my heart broken, and broke my toe. All of which were excuses to pig out or not work out.

Fortunately, most of those have healed and life will go on. I just need to stay focused and make healthy choices for myself, physically and emotionally. Now, check out this new cake recipe!!! Ha Ha!

Monday, February 27, 2012

Sausage and Shrimp Gumbo with Green Chile Rice

1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup all purpose flour
1 3/4 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 (32 ounce) cartons chicken broth
2 (28 ounce) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes, drained
1 pound Cajun-style smoked sausage, sliced
2 cups frozen cut okra
2 bay leaves
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp ground cumin
2 pounds large fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
Green Chile Rice

In a medium stockpot, melt butter over medium heat.  Whisk in flour; cook for 5 minutes whisking constantly or until roux is light golden brown and has a nutty aroma.  Add onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic; cook for 10 minutes or until onion is translucent.

Add broth, tomatoes, sausage, okra, bay leaves, pepper, Italian seasoning, coriander, and cumin.  Bring to a boil over medium high heat; reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour.  Stir in shrimp; cook 4 minutes or until shrimp are done.  Remove and discard bay leaves.  Serve with Green Chile Rice.

Green Chile Rice
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups long-grain white rice, rinsed
3/4 cup water
2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chiles, drained and divided
1/4 tsp salt

In a large saucepan, combine broth, rice, 3/4 cup water, 1 can green chiles and salt.  Bring to a boil over high heat; stir and immediately reduce heat to low.  Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.  Remove from heat.  Fluff rice with a fork and stir in remaining green chiles.  (I did not add the second can)

Okay, confession time.  I guess spending the past 3 days in Louisiana caused Gary and I to crave gumbo.  Something Cajun rubbed off on us while we were there.  This morning I was looking through a Paula Deen Magazine and found this recipe for gumbo.  I figured I could give it a try since it contained sausage and shrimp only and not disintegrated catfish bits.  (That's what was in the cup Gary had at the Waterfront Grill in Monroe LA)  yuck!  Literally, that is how the waitress described it to me!  Anyway, I am not a big fan of seafood but I will eat shrimp on occasion so in this recipe I used those tiny salad shrimp instead of large shrimp.  I figured that size (for me) would go better with the gumbo anyway so just know you can use whatever size shrimp your little heart desires.  Oh, one more thing.  We also scouted out some authentic Louisiana seasoning while we were there last weekend and we picked up a bottle of Phil Robertson's Spicy Cajun Style Seasoning.  To me this gumbo recipe needed a little kick.  I sprinkled some of this seasoning just across the top of the pot, probably about a 1/2 to 3/4 tsp full.  Well, let me tell you, this not only gave it a kick but a punch, a bite and a slap.  Gumbo is suppose to be spicy, right?!!!

Let me start with the Green Chile Rice.  It is so flavorful and tasty that you could eat it all by itself!  Yes, it's that good.  The gumbo is very delish too!  I'm glad I added the extra Cajun spice.  I can't wait for Gary to taste it because I know he's gonna love it.  You can taste all the spices, vegetables and seasonings along with the sausage and it doesn't have the slightest fishy taste from the shrimp I am happy to report!  This was my first attempt at making gumbo.  My sister can make it, my mother can make it and now I've done it.  Maybe I should challenge them to a gumbo throw down!  :)
How yall are??!!!!!

1 comment: