Getting Back on Track

No more procrastinating. I have to get back on track and get out of this funky mood I've been in for four months. I've been really busy and yet I feel like I haven't done anything constructive. You ever get in one of those moods where you are just mad or dislike everything? Food doesn't taste good, clothes don't feel good, bad hair days, bad face days, ya just want to crawl under and rock and sleep all day days. My two forms of entertainment lately have either been eating or sleeping. I'm one of those "emotional eaters". I get my feelings hurt....I eat. I get upset.....I eat. Depressed......eat. A celebration or a happy occassion......We EAT!!! Ugh!!! I spent the first five months of this year sweating and working my butt off and watching what I eat to loose 15 pounds. It only took two and a half to gain it all back!!! It's September 1st and I am making a vow that starting tomorrow I am going to get back on track and stay on track through the end of the year. Back to exercising, back to working out, back to eating healthy!!!! No more procrastinating! No more excuses! (although I did have some pretty good ones) Cracked my elbow, chipped my thumb, had my heart broken, and broke my toe. All of which were excuses to pig out or not work out.

Fortunately, most of those have healed and life will go on. I just need to stay focused and make healthy choices for myself, physically and emotionally. Now, check out this new cake recipe!!! Ha Ha!

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Cranberry Glazed Ham

2 14-ounce cans whole berry cranberry sauce
1 cup orange juice
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 8-9 pound fully cooked spiral-cut ham

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  In a medium saucepan combine cranberry sauce, orange juice, brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice.  Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring often.  Reduce heat to medium-low, simmer for 20 minutes or until glaze has thickened.

Place ham in a roasting pan and drizzle with 1 cup glaze.  Cover with aluminum foil.  Bake for 30 minutes.  Brush ham with an additional 1 cup glaze and bake 45 to 60 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer inserted in thickest portion registers 140 degrees.  Serve with remaining glaze.

Ham.  I don't like ham.  When I was a child I was practically force fed this stuff.  Family coming in from out of town....we had ham.  Sunday get together...we had ham.  Easter Sunday...we had ham.  Car won't start...we had ham.  Sink clogged...we had ham.  Needless to say, we ate a lot of ham growing up.  I don't like ham because it taste like ham.  I don't like anything that taste like ham.  Ham is not my friend.  Until today!  Now this recipe, Paula Deen's again, calls for a fully cooked spiral ham.  To experiment with this recipe I was not going to go out and buy a 40.00 spiral ham from the Honey Baked store.  Instead, I bought a shank ham from HEB that needed to be baked first.  Now since I don't like ham I have never cooked a ham sooooooo, I had to figure out what to do with this "shank".  The package just said to put it in a roasting pan and add a cup of water and cover it with foil and bake 20 minutes per pound.  I did exactly that and I have to say that when I took it out of the oven, this was the tenderest piece of meat I think I've ever seen!  I sawed myself off a little piece and to my surprise, it didn't taste like ham.  It just tasted like really good pork.  Now this ham had no seasoning on it at all unless it came with some kind of smoked process before I got it.  Anyway, the meat by itself was really good and I only spent 5.00 on this one so for experimental purposes it served us well.  Now if I were to make this again for a crowd I might splurge and buy the spiral cut, honey baked, sugar coated, whatever expensive ham.  The glaze was very easy to make and added a nice fruity taste that wasn't over powering to the meat.  It would make a good holiday meal or you could serve it when family comes to town or if your tires need rotating or you've lost your remote.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment