Getting Back on Track

No more procrastinating. I have to get back on track and get out of this funky mood I've been in for four months. I've been really busy and yet I feel like I haven't done anything constructive. You ever get in one of those moods where you are just mad or dislike everything? Food doesn't taste good, clothes don't feel good, bad hair days, bad face days, ya just want to crawl under and rock and sleep all day days. My two forms of entertainment lately have either been eating or sleeping. I'm one of those "emotional eaters". I get my feelings hurt....I eat. I get upset.....I eat. Depressed......eat. A celebration or a happy occassion......We EAT!!! Ugh!!! I spent the first five months of this year sweating and working my butt off and watching what I eat to loose 15 pounds. It only took two and a half to gain it all back!!! It's September 1st and I am making a vow that starting tomorrow I am going to get back on track and stay on track through the end of the year. Back to exercising, back to working out, back to eating healthy!!!! No more procrastinating! No more excuses! (although I did have some pretty good ones) Cracked my elbow, chipped my thumb, had my heart broken, and broke my toe. All of which were excuses to pig out or not work out.

Fortunately, most of those have healed and life will go on. I just need to stay focused and make healthy choices for myself, physically and emotionally. Now, check out this new cake recipe!!! Ha Ha!

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Guinness Irish Potato Salad

6 medium potatoes
4 slices bacon
1 tbsp onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 tbsp sugar
8 fluid ounces Guinness beer
1/2 tsp Tabasco hot pepper sauce
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped

Photo provided by My Texas Today.com
Boil potatoes in medium-size saucepan until tender.  Peel and slice.  Fry bacon until crisp.  Break bacon into small pieces and mix with onion, celery and salt, set aside.  Stir melted butter and flour in a small saucepan until blended.  Add mustard and sugar.  Slowly stir in Guinness and hot pepper sauce.  Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.  Pour over potatoes.  Sprinkle with parsley.  Toss lightly and let stand 1 hour.  Add bacon mixture; toss gently and serve.

Okay, this is one of those recipes or moments where I go "OOOhhhhhhhhh" meaning that I just now realized something I missed in the beginning.  As I was typing this recipe I realized that it's called Guinness IRISH Potato Salad.   Hello!!!!!  Guinness is an Irish beer!  The guys in my family don't care for Guinness.  They say its too strong, too dark.  So I figured  I could switch out the Guinness for Shiner Bock.  Beer is beer, right?  If you ask me it looks like it would taste like horse pee!  Not that I've had that but that is what it appears to be like to me, I hate beer!  Anyway, I figured I would use the Shiner instead.  Well guess what, Shiner is made in Texas!  It's not Irish at all!  So I guess what I've created would now be called Shiner Texan Potato Salad!!!

This dish was fairly easy to make although I don't make a lot of potato salad.  I liked the bacon bits, onion, celery and salt mixture that you add to the salad at the end.  I could just eat this stuff with a spoon by itself!  The sauce was easy to make and you could taste the hint of beer in the salad although I think it needed more salt and some pepper.  It was a good potato salad but personally I like the mustard style potato salad myself, served warm.  That's the way my daddy likes it.  Then there is my mother's potato salad.  Her version is really good too, made with mayo, onions, pickles and that secret ingredient, love!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good...and I think I would like both versions of the potato salad. Do you cater? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, check out the beginning of my blog...cozeesbitsandpieces.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete