Getting Back on Track

No more procrastinating. I have to get back on track and get out of this funky mood I've been in for four months. I've been really busy and yet I feel like I haven't done anything constructive. You ever get in one of those moods where you are just mad or dislike everything? Food doesn't taste good, clothes don't feel good, bad hair days, bad face days, ya just want to crawl under and rock and sleep all day days. My two forms of entertainment lately have either been eating or sleeping. I'm one of those "emotional eaters". I get my feelings hurt....I eat. I get upset.....I eat. Depressed......eat. A celebration or a happy occassion......We EAT!!! Ugh!!! I spent the first five months of this year sweating and working my butt off and watching what I eat to loose 15 pounds. It only took two and a half to gain it all back!!! It's September 1st and I am making a vow that starting tomorrow I am going to get back on track and stay on track through the end of the year. Back to exercising, back to working out, back to eating healthy!!!! No more procrastinating! No more excuses! (although I did have some pretty good ones) Cracked my elbow, chipped my thumb, had my heart broken, and broke my toe. All of which were excuses to pig out or not work out.

Fortunately, most of those have healed and life will go on. I just need to stay focused and make healthy choices for myself, physically and emotionally. Now, check out this new cake recipe!!! Ha Ha!

Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Pioneer Woman Cooks Spicy Dr. Pepper Pulled Pork

2 onions, peeled and quartered
1 whole pork butt (pork shoulder roast)
Salt and black pepper to taste
one 11-ounce can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
2 12-ounce cans Dr. Pepper
4 tbsps packed brown sugar

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  Start by placing the onion quarters in the bottom of a large pot or dutch oven.  Place the pork butt on top of the onions and add salt and pepper to taste.  Pour the chipotle chiles over the top. Pour the Dr. Pepper over the pork butt and chiles.  Add the brown sugar to the liquid, stirring slightly to combine.  Cover the pot and cook for at least 6 hours.  Flip the roast 2 to 3 times during the cooking process.  It should be fork tender when done.  If not, return to the oven and cook for 30 minute intervals until fork tender.  Remove the roast from the pot and shred it completely.  Spoon the fat off the top of the liquid in the pot.  Return the meat to the pot and keep it in the juice until ready to serve.

Suggestions:  serve it on toasted deli rolls, pile it on nachos, use it to fill tacos or quesadillas, pizza toppings, serve it as is with mash potatoes.

I saw the Pioneer Woman make this on her cooking show and it looked really good.  I just got her new cookbook and this is the first recipe I am chewing and reviewing from it.  I have never used chipotle chiles in adobo sauce before and I wasn't sure where to begin to look for them in the grocery store but I'll tell you that at HEB they are on the isle where the ketchup and steak sauces are but in the Mexican can good section.  I just happen to look over on the shelf as I was going by and spotted them.  Otherwise I would have been looking for them where the canned tomatoes and peppers were.  When I opened the cans to add to this dish I could immediately see where this pulled pork is going to get it's BBQ flavor from.  These chiles smelt wonderful!  I was extremely curious as to how the Dr. Pepper was going to play it's part in this dish too.

The pork was ready right at 5 hours.  It was tender and full of flavor.  Almost a little too full of flavor.  The recipe calls for an 11 ounce can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.  Well, all I could find was 7 ounce cans so I bought two.  The pork butt I used was REALLY BIG so I figured it wouldn't hurt to add the extra 3 ounces by using both cans.  Trust me....you just want to use 11 ounces.  These chipotle peppers are HOT.  This pulled pork was a little spicy and definitely left it's calling card on your tongue!  Adding a little BBQ sauce cooled down the heat a little bit but  next time I will use just what is called for.  Sometimes we say if some is good more is better.  Not in this case.  Anyway the meat was tender, full of BBQ flavor and was great on a bun along with a side of Crashed New Potatoes.  Easy to prepare, makes a bunch dinner that would be good to serve if you are expecting a crowd.  Also would be good if you were having the guys over to watch football or something like that.  It is hearty good eatin'!

One more thought.....when you are trying out new recipes and you invite family members over to Chew and Review with you it's very important to not forget that they are coming!  Sorry Mom and Dad for the dinner delay, next time I'll stay home when I invite you over!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment