Getting Back on Track

No more procrastinating. I have to get back on track and get out of this funky mood I've been in for four months. I've been really busy and yet I feel like I haven't done anything constructive. You ever get in one of those moods where you are just mad or dislike everything? Food doesn't taste good, clothes don't feel good, bad hair days, bad face days, ya just want to crawl under and rock and sleep all day days. My two forms of entertainment lately have either been eating or sleeping. I'm one of those "emotional eaters". I get my feelings hurt....I eat. I get upset.....I eat. Depressed......eat. A celebration or a happy occassion......We EAT!!! Ugh!!! I spent the first five months of this year sweating and working my butt off and watching what I eat to loose 15 pounds. It only took two and a half to gain it all back!!! It's September 1st and I am making a vow that starting tomorrow I am going to get back on track and stay on track through the end of the year. Back to exercising, back to working out, back to eating healthy!!!! No more procrastinating! No more excuses! (although I did have some pretty good ones) Cracked my elbow, chipped my thumb, had my heart broken, and broke my toe. All of which were excuses to pig out or not work out.

Fortunately, most of those have healed and life will go on. I just need to stay focused and make healthy choices for myself, physically and emotionally. Now, check out this new cake recipe!!! Ha Ha!

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Citrus Chicken Kabobs

1 pound fresh broccoli, broken into florets
2 large navel oranges
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
4 plum tomatoes, quartered
1 large onion, cut into wedges
Glaze:  1/4 cup barbecue sauce
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey
Place 1 inch of water in a large saucepan; add broccoli.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-4 minutes or until crisp/tender.  Drain.  Cut each orange into eight wedges.  On eight metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread chicken, vegetables and oranges.  In a small bowl, combine the glaze ingredients. 
Coat grill rack with nonstick cooking spray before starting the grill.  Grill kabobs, uncovered, over medium heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until chicken juices run clear, turning once.  Brush frequently with glaze.  4 servings

These chicken kabobs were a winner!  The sauce you make to go over them is really good.  This is a good dish to grill out in the summertime.  The recipe called for the broccoli florets to be cooked crisp/tender and then you layer them on the skewers but it didn't work for me.  The broccoli was too tender and just fell apart.  I think I will just leave them raw next time and they should soften up a bit after they have been on the grill while the chicken is cooking.  Another thing I would do is double the sauce because I think it would be nice to brush on a bit more right after you have taken them off the grill and before you serve them.  This dish went well with the Strawberry and Orange Pasta Salad that I made today.  The Citrus Chicken Kabob recipe is from the Taste of Home Grilling Cookbook.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment