Getting Back on Track

No more procrastinating. I have to get back on track and get out of this funky mood I've been in for four months. I've been really busy and yet I feel like I haven't done anything constructive. You ever get in one of those moods where you are just mad or dislike everything? Food doesn't taste good, clothes don't feel good, bad hair days, bad face days, ya just want to crawl under and rock and sleep all day days. My two forms of entertainment lately have either been eating or sleeping. I'm one of those "emotional eaters". I get my feelings hurt....I eat. I get upset.....I eat. Depressed......eat. A celebration or a happy occassion......We EAT!!! Ugh!!! I spent the first five months of this year sweating and working my butt off and watching what I eat to loose 15 pounds. It only took two and a half to gain it all back!!! It's September 1st and I am making a vow that starting tomorrow I am going to get back on track and stay on track through the end of the year. Back to exercising, back to working out, back to eating healthy!!!! No more procrastinating! No more excuses! (although I did have some pretty good ones) Cracked my elbow, chipped my thumb, had my heart broken, and broke my toe. All of which were excuses to pig out or not work out.

Fortunately, most of those have healed and life will go on. I just need to stay focused and make healthy choices for myself, physically and emotionally. Now, check out this new cake recipe!!! Ha Ha!

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Jalapeno Grilled Chicken


4 to 8 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped or 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
2/3 cup lemon juice, divided
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
6 to 10 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
2 teaspoons dried thyme
8 bone-in chicken breast halves
2/3 cup chicken broth
2 teaspoons pepper
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
In a bowl, combine the peppers, 1/3 cup lemon juice, parsley, garlic, rosemary and thyme.  Gently stuff pepper mixture under the skin of each chicken breast.  Place in a greased 13 X 9 X 2 baking dish.  Combine the broth, pepper, lemon peel and remaining lemon juice; pour over chicken.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours.  Drain and discard marinade.  Place the chicken skin side up on grill.  Grill, covered, over medium heat for 45 minutes or until the juices run clear, turning once.  8 servings. 

This recipe looked impressive during the marinating process and the grilling process but I have to say that when we dove into it it was just a good piece of grilled chicken.  I really didn't get a huge jalapeno flavor in every bit like I thought I would.  You could see all of the jalapeno mixture stuffed under the skin so you would expect the flavors to come through in the meat.  I'm stumped here because there was a lot of ingredients going in to this dish and it was marinated for over 6 hours.  In the past, when I have baked chicken with a rub under the skin, it called for a lot of butter.  (Must have been a Paula Deen recipe).  I think that these ingredients, together with some butter, would help marry the flavors so that you would get a tasty, delicious bite every time.  I would be willing to try this recipe again but I think next time I would like to try it with a whole chicken and roast it in the oven with butter added to the jalapeno stuffing.  Also, this recipe didn't call for any salt which I added to the chicken before it was grilled so if I was going to bake this chicken it would definitely need to be salted before going into the oven.  I grilled six large chicken breast to make this dish and they were very juicy and tender, I just wish that the jalapeno flavor would have made more of a statement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment