Getting Back on Track

No more procrastinating. I have to get back on track and get out of this funky mood I've been in for four months. I've been really busy and yet I feel like I haven't done anything constructive. You ever get in one of those moods where you are just mad or dislike everything? Food doesn't taste good, clothes don't feel good, bad hair days, bad face days, ya just want to crawl under and rock and sleep all day days. My two forms of entertainment lately have either been eating or sleeping. I'm one of those "emotional eaters". I get my feelings hurt....I eat. I get upset.....I eat. Depressed......eat. A celebration or a happy occassion......We EAT!!! Ugh!!! I spent the first five months of this year sweating and working my butt off and watching what I eat to loose 15 pounds. It only took two and a half to gain it all back!!! It's September 1st and I am making a vow that starting tomorrow I am going to get back on track and stay on track through the end of the year. Back to exercising, back to working out, back to eating healthy!!!! No more procrastinating! No more excuses! (although I did have some pretty good ones) Cracked my elbow, chipped my thumb, had my heart broken, and broke my toe. All of which were excuses to pig out or not work out.

Fortunately, most of those have healed and life will go on. I just need to stay focused and make healthy choices for myself, physically and emotionally. Now, check out this new cake recipe!!! Ha Ha!

Sunday, July 22, 2012

German Chocolate Pie

1 refrigerated pie crust

1 (4 ounce) sweet baking chocolate bar

3 tbsp butter

1/2 cup sugar

1 cup dark corn syrup

1 tsp vanilla extract

3 large eggs

1 1/2 cups chopped pecans

1 cup sweet flaked coconut

560953_499320710083563_1847573115_nPreheat oven to 350 degrees.  On a lightly floured surface, unroll pie crust and roll into a 12 in circle.  Press crust into a 9 inch pie plate, crimping edges, if desired.  In a microwave safe large bowl, microwave chocolate and butter on high in 30 second intervals, stirring after each until chocolate is melted and smooth.  Let cool 10 minutes.  Add sugar, corn syrup and vanilla, whisking to combine.  Whisk in eggs.  Stir in pecans and coconut.  Pour into prepared crust.  Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until center is set, covering pie with heavy-duty aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning if necessary.  Cool completely. 

This recipe came from August issue of Paula Deen’s Chocolate Celebration magazine.  (a special collector’s issue) 

I love anything that contains the words German Chocolate in it so naturally this recipe jumped right out at me.  I had it baking in the oven one evening while I finished cooking dinner so that we could have it with coffee out on our patio later that evening.  It says to bake it for 55-60 minutes.  After this amount of time the pie looked great on the outside but when I cut into it, it was still oozing and gooey inside.  Back in the oven it went for 10 more minutes.  Still, oozing and gooey.  Ten more minutes.  Still oozing and gooey only this time it was beginning to get too brown on the top.  Ten more minutes then I was going to give up.  We finally dove into it about 10 minutes before bedtime and must say that we were very disappointed.  It was too done on the top and too hot to eat the inside.  It didn’t even really seem to have a German Chocolate taste, just goo and pecans.  The next day I had a taste of it and it was actually better, minus the burnt top.  Maybe you guys can have better luck with this one and I guess the key to it is to place foil on the top while you let it cook for 2 hours.  And, don’t serve it until the next day, it will be better and cool enough to eat.  This one will not be repeated again in my kitchen.  Sad smile

No comments:

Post a Comment