Getting Back on Track

No more procrastinating. I have to get back on track and get out of this funky mood I've been in for four months. I've been really busy and yet I feel like I haven't done anything constructive. You ever get in one of those moods where you are just mad or dislike everything? Food doesn't taste good, clothes don't feel good, bad hair days, bad face days, ya just want to crawl under and rock and sleep all day days. My two forms of entertainment lately have either been eating or sleeping. I'm one of those "emotional eaters". I get my feelings hurt....I eat. I get upset.....I eat. Depressed......eat. A celebration or a happy occassion......We EAT!!! Ugh!!! I spent the first five months of this year sweating and working my butt off and watching what I eat to loose 15 pounds. It only took two and a half to gain it all back!!! It's September 1st and I am making a vow that starting tomorrow I am going to get back on track and stay on track through the end of the year. Back to exercising, back to working out, back to eating healthy!!!! No more procrastinating! No more excuses! (although I did have some pretty good ones) Cracked my elbow, chipped my thumb, had my heart broken, and broke my toe. All of which were excuses to pig out or not work out.

Fortunately, most of those have healed and life will go on. I just need to stay focused and make healthy choices for myself, physically and emotionally. Now, check out this new cake recipe!!! Ha Ha!

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Butternut Squash Casserole with Pecan Streusel

3 (12 oz) packages frozen cooked butternut squash, thawed (I used one large fresh squash peeled, cubed and cooked until tender)
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup half and half
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp ground cloves
 1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
3 tbsps cold butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup chopped pecans


Combine first 10 ingredients in a large bowl; stir well.  Place in lightly greased 11 x 7 baking dish.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Combine flour and 1/4 cup brown sugar.  Cut in 3 tablespoons butter with a pastry blender until crumbly.  Stir in nuts.  Sprinkle over squash.  Bake uncovered for 40 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.  Let casserole stand 5 minutes before serving,

This casserole was AMAZING!!!  Traditionally, my family
always has sweet potato casserole at Thanksgiving and
Christmas dinner but now that I have tasted this recipe it may just
put the yams out of business!  This is only the second time I have
ever cooked or eaten butternut squash and I have to say that I am
pleasantly surprised by it's versatility, taste and texture.  With all the
spices and ingredients added to this dish it made it taste just as good as our sweet potato casserole but with an added bonus.  The
pecan streusel topping was like icing on the cake for this dish.  It was sweet, with a little bit of nutty crunch.  It was a perfect side dish for the turkey.  Try this one, it's full of Autumn goodness!
This recipe came from the Southern Living Christmas Cookbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment