Getting Back on Track

No more procrastinating. I have to get back on track and get out of this funky mood I've been in for four months. I've been really busy and yet I feel like I haven't done anything constructive. You ever get in one of those moods where you are just mad or dislike everything? Food doesn't taste good, clothes don't feel good, bad hair days, bad face days, ya just want to crawl under and rock and sleep all day days. My two forms of entertainment lately have either been eating or sleeping. I'm one of those "emotional eaters". I get my feelings hurt....I eat. I get upset.....I eat. Depressed......eat. A celebration or a happy occassion......We EAT!!! Ugh!!! I spent the first five months of this year sweating and working my butt off and watching what I eat to loose 15 pounds. It only took two and a half to gain it all back!!! It's September 1st and I am making a vow that starting tomorrow I am going to get back on track and stay on track through the end of the year. Back to exercising, back to working out, back to eating healthy!!!! No more procrastinating! No more excuses! (although I did have some pretty good ones) Cracked my elbow, chipped my thumb, had my heart broken, and broke my toe. All of which were excuses to pig out or not work out.

Fortunately, most of those have healed and life will go on. I just need to stay focused and make healthy choices for myself, physically and emotionally. Now, check out this new cake recipe!!! Ha Ha!

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Rosemary Pork Tenderloin with Balsamic Peppers

1 5 - 5 1/2 pound pork tenderloin
2 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp minced fresh rosemary
Balsamic Peppers

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Trim fat from tenderloin.  Sprinkle all over with salt and pepper.  Heat oil in a roasting pan over medium high heat; add tenderloin.  Cook 6 to 8 minutes, turning often to brown all sides.  Remove tenderloin to a cutting board.  Rub tenderloin with garlic and 2 tbsp rosemary, pressing to adhere.  Return to pan.  Bake, uncovered for 40 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of tenderloin registers 140 degrees (rare) 160 degrees (medium).  Remove tenderloin to a serving platter, let stand 10 minutes before slicing.  Arrange Balsamic Peppers around tenderloin.

Balsamic Peppers
2 large red bell peppers
2 large yellow bell peppers
1 red onion, cut into 8 wedges
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp molasses
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp minced fresh rosemary

Cut peppers in half lengthwise, discard seeds and membranes.  Place pepper halves, skin side up on a large aluminum foil lined baking sheet, flatten peppers  with palm of hand.  Add onion to baking sheet.  Broil 5 1/2 inches away from heat 20 to 25 minutes or until peppers are blackened.  Place peppers in a zip-top plastic bag; seal, and let stand 15 minutes.  Peel skin from peppers, cut peppers into strips.  Whisk together vinegar and next 4 ingredients in a medium bowl; stir in rosemary.  Add pepper strips and onion to bowl; toss well.

The tenderloin and the peppers made for a nice, fancy meal that was easy to prepare
and inexpensive as well.  You can use beef tenderloin with this recipe too but I have always been a fan of a pork tenderloin.  After searing the meat I deglazed the pan with beef stock and made my brown gravy then while the skillet was hot so this saved me time rather than doing it just before I was ready to serve the meal.  My husband always likes to have gravy with meats like this so I just made a simple brown gravy to go along with this meal.  The method of broiling the peppers in the oven then putting them in a plastic bag for 15 minutes was a very handy tip.  The skin came right off the peppers after sitting in the steamy bag for that long.  The balsamic mixture could have used just a scosh more seasoning to me but all in all the peppers were good and the purple onion added a hint of sweet taste to the whole thing.  These recipes came from the Southern Living Christmas Cookbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment