Getting Back on Track

No more procrastinating. I have to get back on track and get out of this funky mood I've been in for four months. I've been really busy and yet I feel like I haven't done anything constructive. You ever get in one of those moods where you are just mad or dislike everything? Food doesn't taste good, clothes don't feel good, bad hair days, bad face days, ya just want to crawl under and rock and sleep all day days. My two forms of entertainment lately have either been eating or sleeping. I'm one of those "emotional eaters". I get my feelings hurt....I eat. I get upset.....I eat. Depressed......eat. A celebration or a happy occassion......We EAT!!! Ugh!!! I spent the first five months of this year sweating and working my butt off and watching what I eat to loose 15 pounds. It only took two and a half to gain it all back!!! It's September 1st and I am making a vow that starting tomorrow I am going to get back on track and stay on track through the end of the year. Back to exercising, back to working out, back to eating healthy!!!! No more procrastinating! No more excuses! (although I did have some pretty good ones) Cracked my elbow, chipped my thumb, had my heart broken, and broke my toe. All of which were excuses to pig out or not work out.

Fortunately, most of those have healed and life will go on. I just need to stay focused and make healthy choices for myself, physically and emotionally. Now, check out this new cake recipe!!! Ha Ha!

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Mini Meringue Tarts

1 box of pastry shells (I used VIP Pastry Shells, 8 shells wrapped in pairs, ready to fill and bake) from HEB
2 jars of lemon curd (11 oz jars)
2 tbsps meringue powder, divided
1/2 cup cold water, divided
3/4 cup plus 1 tbsp and 1 tsp sugar, divided
1/4 tsp vanilla extract, divided

Prick bottoms of pie shells and bake in 375 degree oven for 8 - 10 minutes.  Remove and slightly cool.  Fill pastry shells level with lemon curd.

(for first 4 pastry shells)
In a large bowl, combine 1 tablespoon meringue powder and 1/4 cup cold water .  Add 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar.  Beat at high speed with an electric mixer for 5 minutes.  Add 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar and 1/8 teaspoon vanilla.  (I put in 1/4 tsp cuz I like vanilla!)  Beat at high speed with an electric mixer until meringue is stiff and glossy, about 5 minutes.  Spoon meringue on top of lemon curd in pastry shells sealing the edges.

(for remaining 4 pastry shells)
Repeat all of the steps above to make a second batch of meringue for the rest of the pie shells.  Bake in oven until meringue is toasted and brown on the edges.

Okay, confession time.  I have never used meringue powder before.  It works pretty good and you don't have to use real eggs so I guess it's a good investment.  I only made four mini pies with this recipe so I only made the one batch of meringue and it was plenty so if you are going to make all 8 pies you will need to make two batches of the meringue.  It gets pretty fluffy in the mixer bowl so I guess that is why they tell you to make two separate batches.  I've made lots of lemon pies in my day but I have never just used lemon curd for the filling. Turns out, it makes a fantastic filling for lemon pie with just the right amount of tartness.  Who knew!!!  I have made so many lemon pies in the past that when you cut into them they just bleed all over the place and you would have to eat them with a spoon.  Never more!!!  From now on I am making all my lemon pie fillings with lemon curd!  I just love it when I learn something new!

On a personal note, I have to tell you about the time I made a lemon pie and I didn't have cornstarch or something that was needed to make the filling thick.  I figured (now this is back when I was much younger and use to substitute a lot) that baking soda was about the same thing as corn starch, at least it was the same color, so I used soda instead.  The pie looked awesome.  I took it to my sister's house and my mother and sister and I were having lunch so we saved room for pie for dessert.  Now my mother is the kind of mother that would never tell you anything that would hurt your feelings.  You could be busting out of a blouse that was a size too small and she would tell you that you looked great.  You could have on way too much blush and she would complement you on your makeup.  Even if she had to lie she would always tell you something positive instead of the cold hard truth.  Well, this was one time that she just couldn't do it.  We all bit into this pie and my mother made a face that would scare the hair off a cat.  She said "What did you do to this pie?"  "I can't eat it, it's terrible!"  She didn't want to hurt my feelings but she sure didn't hold back on what she thought about it.  We had a good laugh and still refer back to this event whenever we are about to eat lemon meringue!

No comments:

Post a Comment