Getting Back on Track

No more procrastinating. I have to get back on track and get out of this funky mood I've been in for four months. I've been really busy and yet I feel like I haven't done anything constructive. You ever get in one of those moods where you are just mad or dislike everything? Food doesn't taste good, clothes don't feel good, bad hair days, bad face days, ya just want to crawl under and rock and sleep all day days. My two forms of entertainment lately have either been eating or sleeping. I'm one of those "emotional eaters". I get my feelings hurt....I eat. I get upset.....I eat. Depressed......eat. A celebration or a happy occassion......We EAT!!! Ugh!!! I spent the first five months of this year sweating and working my butt off and watching what I eat to loose 15 pounds. It only took two and a half to gain it all back!!! It's September 1st and I am making a vow that starting tomorrow I am going to get back on track and stay on track through the end of the year. Back to exercising, back to working out, back to eating healthy!!!! No more procrastinating! No more excuses! (although I did have some pretty good ones) Cracked my elbow, chipped my thumb, had my heart broken, and broke my toe. All of which were excuses to pig out or not work out.

Fortunately, most of those have healed and life will go on. I just need to stay focused and make healthy choices for myself, physically and emotionally. Now, check out this new cake recipe!!! Ha Ha!

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Mexican Lasagna

1/2 lb hot ground pork sausage
1/2 lb ground round
1 15 oz can ranch-style pinto beans, drained
1 10 oz can diced tomatoes and green chiles, drained
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 10 3/4 oz can cream of celery soup
1 10 3/4 oz can cream of mushroom soup
1 10 oz can enchilada sauce
9 6" corn tortillas, divided
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack or pepper jack cheese, divided
1 medium tomato, chopped
4 green onions, chopped
1 medium avocado, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cook sausage and ground round in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat, stirring often until meat crumbles and is no longer pink; drain.  Return meat to pan; stir in beans and next 5 ingredients.  Cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir together soups and enchilada sauce in a medium sauce pan; cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes or until thoroughly  heated.  Spoon one-third of sauce into a lightly greased 13 x 9 baking dish; top with 3 tortillas.  Spoon half of beef mixture and one-third of sauce over tortillas; sprinkle with half o Cheddar cheese.  Top with 3 tortillas; repeat layers with remaining beef, sauce, Cheddar cheese and tortillas ending with tortillas.  Sprinkle with 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese.  Cover loosely with foil.  Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.  Add remaining 1 cup Monterey Jack; bake uncovered 10 more minutes.  Let stand 10 minutes.  Top with tomato, green onion and avocado.

This dish was very good!  It got a thumbs up from everyone as did the Fiesta Salad that I served with it.  The "lasagna" stays together and is very filling and delicious.  It would be a good dish to fix if you needed to feed several people.  It warms up well the next day too!  This recipe came from the Souther Living Christmas Cookbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment