Getting Back on Track

No more procrastinating. I have to get back on track and get out of this funky mood I've been in for four months. I've been really busy and yet I feel like I haven't done anything constructive. You ever get in one of those moods where you are just mad or dislike everything? Food doesn't taste good, clothes don't feel good, bad hair days, bad face days, ya just want to crawl under and rock and sleep all day days. My two forms of entertainment lately have either been eating or sleeping. I'm one of those "emotional eaters". I get my feelings hurt....I eat. I get upset.....I eat. Depressed......eat. A celebration or a happy occassion......We EAT!!! Ugh!!! I spent the first five months of this year sweating and working my butt off and watching what I eat to loose 15 pounds. It only took two and a half to gain it all back!!! It's September 1st and I am making a vow that starting tomorrow I am going to get back on track and stay on track through the end of the year. Back to exercising, back to working out, back to eating healthy!!!! No more procrastinating! No more excuses! (although I did have some pretty good ones) Cracked my elbow, chipped my thumb, had my heart broken, and broke my toe. All of which were excuses to pig out or not work out.

Fortunately, most of those have healed and life will go on. I just need to stay focused and make healthy choices for myself, physically and emotionally. Now, check out this new cake recipe!!! Ha Ha!

Monday, November 7, 2011

Queso Potato Chowder

1/4 cup butter
1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1 cup finely chopped onion
3 poblano peppers, seeded and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 (20 oz) package refrigerated Southwestern-style hash brown potatoes
1/4 tsp ground cumin
2 (14 oz) cans low-sodium fat free chicken broth
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup half and half
1 cup (4 oz) freshly shredded asadero cheese (can use Monterey Jack cheese)
1 cup (4 oz) freshly shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
Toppings:  fried corn tortilla chips, coarsely chopped deli-fried chicken tenders, finely chopped red onion, sliced jalapeno peppers, fresh cilantro sprigs

Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add bell pepper and next 3 ingredients, saute 4 - 5 minutes or until tender.  Add potatoes and cumin, saute 5 minutes or until browned and tender.  Gradually stir in broth, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of Dutch oven.  Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 25 minutes.

Whisk together flour and next 2 ingredients.  Stir into potato mixture and cook over medium heat stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until thickened.  Reduce heat to low.  Add cheeses and cook, stirring constantly until cheeses melt and mixture is thoroughly heated.  Serve with desired toppings.
Photo provided by Southern Living


This chowder was pretty good but it wasn't what I was expecting.  The recipe calls for low sodium chicken broth but you might as well use regular chicken broth as I ended up having to season this a lot with salt to give it more taste.  Also, I had no clue what asadero cheese was so while I was at the grocery store I had to Google it on my iPhone to figure out what it was.  Turns out it was sold in the Mexican cheeses section that is close to where they sell sour cream, cottage cheese and cream cheese.  I didn't realize until just now when I was typing this review that I could have used Monteray Jack and it would have probably been better as I found that the asadero cheese didn't melt well and just kind of floated on top of the chowder.  It was a good soup and with some tweaking it could really be a great soup.  To me it needed more spice, more heat.  If I make it again I will definitely make some adjustments.

No comments:

Post a Comment