Getting Back on Track

No more procrastinating. I have to get back on track and get out of this funky mood I've been in for four months. I've been really busy and yet I feel like I haven't done anything constructive. You ever get in one of those moods where you are just mad or dislike everything? Food doesn't taste good, clothes don't feel good, bad hair days, bad face days, ya just want to crawl under and rock and sleep all day days. My two forms of entertainment lately have either been eating or sleeping. I'm one of those "emotional eaters". I get my feelings hurt....I eat. I get upset.....I eat. Depressed......eat. A celebration or a happy occassion......We EAT!!! Ugh!!! I spent the first five months of this year sweating and working my butt off and watching what I eat to loose 15 pounds. It only took two and a half to gain it all back!!! It's September 1st and I am making a vow that starting tomorrow I am going to get back on track and stay on track through the end of the year. Back to exercising, back to working out, back to eating healthy!!!! No more procrastinating! No more excuses! (although I did have some pretty good ones) Cracked my elbow, chipped my thumb, had my heart broken, and broke my toe. All of which were excuses to pig out or not work out.

Fortunately, most of those have healed and life will go on. I just need to stay focused and make healthy choices for myself, physically and emotionally. Now, check out this new cake recipe!!! Ha Ha!

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Beef and Bean Burritos

2 pounds ground beef

1 medium onion, diced

1/2 tsp ground cumin

1/4 tsp ground oregano

1/4 tsp chili powder

1/4 tsp salt

two 7-ounce cans Mexican tomato sauce or enchilada sauce

one 28-ounce can refried beans

3/4 cup grated Cheddar cheese plus extra for sprinkling

12 burrito size flour tortillas

corn and burritoscornburrito

In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef and onions until the beef is cooked through.  Add the cumin, oregano, chili powder and salt and stir to combine.  Pour 1 can of the sauce into the  meat and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.  Add a little water if mixture looks dry.  Meanwhile, heat the refried beans in a saucepan over medium low heat.  Add the grated Cheddar cheese.  Stir until cheese is melted.  Heat the tortillas in the microwave for 1 minute, spread a small amount of beans on each tortilla, add a small amount of the meat mixture, fold the ends over and roll tortilla up.  Place 2 burritos on a microwave safe place.  Drizzle some sauce from the second can over the burritos and sprinkle with extra Cheddar cheese.  Microwave for 1 minute or until cheese is melted.  Repeat with the rest of the burritos.

One thing I’ve learned about cooking from the Pioneer Woman’s cookbooks is that she cooks for a crowd and these recipes are sometimes way too big for my family.  I’m usually only feeding 3-4 people where she is feeding anywhere from 6 to a herd!  I made seven burritos for the 3 of us and had enough stuff left over for seven more.  Leftovers don’t really fly well at my house unless I announce out loud that it’s “Left Over Night” and it’s “Take It Or Leave It” too.  These burritos were easy to make but were pretty basic.  You can add other toppings into the burrito before you roll it up but I wanted to be able to taste the beef/bean combination so I didn’t want to fancy it up too much.  I did have to add extra seasoning to the beef as the spices and amounts the recipe called for left it tasting a little bland for me.  I added a little more heat and a little more salt.  This is something easy that you can throw together in about 20 minutes and will most likely fill you up.  I served along side the corn dish and chips and hot sauce.  Not bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment