Getting Back on Track

No more procrastinating. I have to get back on track and get out of this funky mood I've been in for four months. I've been really busy and yet I feel like I haven't done anything constructive. You ever get in one of those moods where you are just mad or dislike everything? Food doesn't taste good, clothes don't feel good, bad hair days, bad face days, ya just want to crawl under and rock and sleep all day days. My two forms of entertainment lately have either been eating or sleeping. I'm one of those "emotional eaters". I get my feelings hurt....I eat. I get upset.....I eat. Depressed......eat. A celebration or a happy occassion......We EAT!!! Ugh!!! I spent the first five months of this year sweating and working my butt off and watching what I eat to loose 15 pounds. It only took two and a half to gain it all back!!! It's September 1st and I am making a vow that starting tomorrow I am going to get back on track and stay on track through the end of the year. Back to exercising, back to working out, back to eating healthy!!!! No more procrastinating! No more excuses! (although I did have some pretty good ones) Cracked my elbow, chipped my thumb, had my heart broken, and broke my toe. All of which were excuses to pig out or not work out.

Fortunately, most of those have healed and life will go on. I just need to stay focused and make healthy choices for myself, physically and emotionally. Now, check out this new cake recipe!!! Ha Ha!

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Chicken Parmesan

1/2 cup all purpose flour

1/2 tsp salt plus more to taste

1/2 tsp black pepper plus more to taste

6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to uniform thinness

2 tbsp butter

1/2 cup olive oil

1 medium onion, chopped

4 garlic cloves, minced

3/4 cup wine (white or red)

three 14.5 ounce cans crushed tomatoes

2 tbsp sugar

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, plus more for sprinkling

1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese

1 lb thin linguine or other pasta cooked al dente

Mix the four sand and pepper on a large plate.  Season the flattened chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper then dredge them in the flour mixture.  Set them aside.chick parm

In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt the butter in the olive oil until sizzling.  Fry the chicken breasts until nice and golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes on each side.  Remove the chicken from the skillet and keep warm.  Without cleaning the skillet, add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes or until the onions start to brown.  Pour in the wine and scrape the bottom of the pan, getting all the flavorful bits off the bottom.  Allow wine to cook down until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.  Pour in the crushed tomatoes and stir to combine.  Add the sugar, salt and pepper to taste.  Stir, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes so the flavors can marry.  Add the chopped parsley and the 1/2 cup grated Parmesan, stir to combine.  Carefully lay the chicken breasts on top of the sauce and completely cover them with the remaining 1 cup grated Parmesan.  Cover the skillet and simmer until the cheese is melted and the chicken is heated through, about 5 minutes.  Place the cooked pasta in pasta bowls or on plates, then cover it with sauce.  Lay a chicken breast on top of each serving and sprinkle with more parsley.  Serve immediately.

Well, we finally had a hit this week!  the men folk at the house gave this one a thumbs up.  My husband said anything was better than the “leather” we had a couple of nights ago.  I won’t go there right now!  This dish made a huge portion and it was very filling and tasty.  I served it with a side of Pasta Ala Vodka and garlic toast.   Yummy!  I did make a few slight changes as I let the chicken simmer in the sauce first and then when I assembled the dish I added the grated Parm on top last, sprinkled with parsley and then microwaved to melt the cheese about 30 seconds.  My group was hungry and there wasn’t time to add the cheese first, in the dish and let it melt that way.  Another thing that I would change about this recipe is, instead of turning the chicken in just flour, I would turn it in Italian breadcrumbs instead to give the chicken a little more flavor. 

I saw Pioneer Woman make this dish on her Saturday morning cooking show and I wondered how she could call it Parmesan chicken when I hardly saw her put anything in it to make it taste that way.  Using Italian breadcrumbs, to me, would bring out more flavor.  I would make this dish again, especially for my Bearkat who is away at school.  He loves Chicken Parmesan but is busy at school playing with rocks.  I’ll make it for him the next time he comes home! 

No comments:

Post a Comment