Getting Back on Track

No more procrastinating. I have to get back on track and get out of this funky mood I've been in for four months. I've been really busy and yet I feel like I haven't done anything constructive. You ever get in one of those moods where you are just mad or dislike everything? Food doesn't taste good, clothes don't feel good, bad hair days, bad face days, ya just want to crawl under and rock and sleep all day days. My two forms of entertainment lately have either been eating or sleeping. I'm one of those "emotional eaters". I get my feelings hurt....I eat. I get upset.....I eat. Depressed......eat. A celebration or a happy occassion......We EAT!!! Ugh!!! I spent the first five months of this year sweating and working my butt off and watching what I eat to loose 15 pounds. It only took two and a half to gain it all back!!! It's September 1st and I am making a vow that starting tomorrow I am going to get back on track and stay on track through the end of the year. Back to exercising, back to working out, back to eating healthy!!!! No more procrastinating! No more excuses! (although I did have some pretty good ones) Cracked my elbow, chipped my thumb, had my heart broken, and broke my toe. All of which were excuses to pig out or not work out.

Fortunately, most of those have healed and life will go on. I just need to stay focused and make healthy choices for myself, physically and emotionally. Now, check out this new cake recipe!!! Ha Ha!

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Tangy Tomato Brisket

one 5-8 lb beef brisket, trimmed of all fat          

one 24-ounce bottle of ketchup

1 package dry onion soup mix

mailPreheat oven to 275 degrees.  Place the brisket in an oven safe pan.  Combine the ketchup and soup mix in a bowl and stir to mix.  Pour in 1 cup of water and stir again.  Pour the sauce all over the brisket, then flip the brisket over to coat the other side.  Now just cover the pan with foil and roast in the oven for 6 to 7 hours.  Remove the pan from the oven and test the brisket to make sure its fork tender.  Slice the brisket into thin strips.  Return meat to sauce and cover until ready to serve.

Sorry Pioneer Woman, but your brisket cannot hold a candle to my husband’s brisket.  Not just a candle but a lit match, blow torch, campfire or any other kind of open flame.  This dish was easy to make but it tasted like a barbequed roast.  It wouldn’t slice up like a brisket, it didn’t even taste like it was meant to be brisket.  It tasted like a roast that had a lot of tangy sauce on it.  It is tasty but in no way shape or form do we consider this brisket in our state.  Probably because Pioneer girl lives in Oklahoma and we all are from TEXAS and TEXAS knows how to do brisket.  There’s only two kinds of people in Oklahoma…..Neil Diamond fans and Members Only members.  Smile

2 comments:

  1. Well then TEXAS, what is your husband's brisket recipe? My mouth is watering

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He cooks it the way brisket is meant to be cooked in Texas....ON A SMOKER! He buys the trimmed brisket (large ones) and has to cut them in half. He starts around 7 am and gets the smoker ready then rubs the two brisket halfs with a brisket rub that is a combination of a store bought brand enhanced with some of his own spices. Coats the meat then smokes all day until a crust forms on the meat, he then wraps the meat in foil and continues on the smoker for another couple of hours. It usually takes 7-8 hours to fully cooks. His briskets are always tender, juicy and have an awesome crust that is full of flavor. It slices like a brisket and doesn't fall apart like a roast. His brisket is so good you don't need sauce of any kind. Best you'll ever eat!

      Delete