Getting Back on Track

No more procrastinating. I have to get back on track and get out of this funky mood I've been in for four months. I've been really busy and yet I feel like I haven't done anything constructive. You ever get in one of those moods where you are just mad or dislike everything? Food doesn't taste good, clothes don't feel good, bad hair days, bad face days, ya just want to crawl under and rock and sleep all day days. My two forms of entertainment lately have either been eating or sleeping. I'm one of those "emotional eaters". I get my feelings hurt....I eat. I get upset.....I eat. Depressed......eat. A celebration or a happy occassion......We EAT!!! Ugh!!! I spent the first five months of this year sweating and working my butt off and watching what I eat to loose 15 pounds. It only took two and a half to gain it all back!!! It's September 1st and I am making a vow that starting tomorrow I am going to get back on track and stay on track through the end of the year. Back to exercising, back to working out, back to eating healthy!!!! No more procrastinating! No more excuses! (although I did have some pretty good ones) Cracked my elbow, chipped my thumb, had my heart broken, and broke my toe. All of which were excuses to pig out or not work out.

Fortunately, most of those have healed and life will go on. I just need to stay focused and make healthy choices for myself, physically and emotionally. Now, check out this new cake recipe!!! Ha Ha!

Monday, October 31, 2011

Almond Finder Cookies

3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp almond extract
2 cups toffee bits
3/4 cup finely chopped toasted almonds
5 dozen sliced almonds
2 cups red candy melts

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line several baking sheets with parchment paper.  In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt.  In another large bowl, combine butter, sugar and brown sugar.  Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy, 2 - 3 minutes.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Add almond extract, beating well.  Gradually add flour mixture, beating well after each addition.  Stir in toffee bits and chopped almonds.  Using your hands, roll into 5 dozen (2 x 1/2 inch) logs.  Place 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets.  Place 1 almond slice at one end of the log to  make a fingernail.  Refrigerate for 10 minutes.  Bake until lightly golden, 8 to 10 minutes.  Cool on pans for 10 minutes.  Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  In a microwave safe bowl, microwave candy melts on high in 30 second intervals, stirring until melted and smooth.  Working quickly, dip end of cooked cookie "finger" in candy.  Place on parchment paper.  Cool completely, repeat with remaining fingers.

These cookies were very tasty!!  The hard part is getting them to stay in the shape of a finger without spreading out so far that they end up looking like Big Foot's big toe!  I tried putting them in the freezer to get them colder than the fridge for 10 minutes and this seemed to help some but they still spread out too big.  I also tried making the logs smaller and thinner and that helped too but to me they still spread out more than finger size.  I think the key is to make them small, refrigerate for about 15 minutes or freeze for about 8 minutes before baking and maybe they won't spread out too far.  Taste wise, I would use this recipe again and just make them into round cookies and maybe just drizzle melted chocolate across the top to decorate.  This would work as a Christmas cookie, Valentines, etc.  Yummy, toffee, almond taste!

No comments:

Post a Comment