Getting Back on Track

No more procrastinating. I have to get back on track and get out of this funky mood I've been in for four months. I've been really busy and yet I feel like I haven't done anything constructive. You ever get in one of those moods where you are just mad or dislike everything? Food doesn't taste good, clothes don't feel good, bad hair days, bad face days, ya just want to crawl under and rock and sleep all day days. My two forms of entertainment lately have either been eating or sleeping. I'm one of those "emotional eaters". I get my feelings hurt....I eat. I get upset.....I eat. Depressed......eat. A celebration or a happy occassion......We EAT!!! Ugh!!! I spent the first five months of this year sweating and working my butt off and watching what I eat to loose 15 pounds. It only took two and a half to gain it all back!!! It's September 1st and I am making a vow that starting tomorrow I am going to get back on track and stay on track through the end of the year. Back to exercising, back to working out, back to eating healthy!!!! No more procrastinating! No more excuses! (although I did have some pretty good ones) Cracked my elbow, chipped my thumb, had my heart broken, and broke my toe. All of which were excuses to pig out or not work out.

Fortunately, most of those have healed and life will go on. I just need to stay focused and make healthy choices for myself, physically and emotionally. Now, check out this new cake recipe!!! Ha Ha!

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Mummy Cupcakes

1 package of devil's food cake mix
1 can of ready-to-decorate cake icing in white
black and red gel icing or candy googly eyes

Okay, this is a no brainer.  Prepare cake mix and bake into cupcakes as directed on cake mix box.  Devil's food or chocolate works best as you want a bit of a dark background to show through the strips of frosting that make the mummy's face.  Bake cup cakes 18-20 and cool completely.

Using a tub of ready-to-decorate cake icing in white (it comes with tips), use the flat open end tip and create random strips across the top of a cooled cupcake to simulate bandages to form the mummy's face.  If some of the cake is showing between the strips that is fine, it gives it more character and makes the strips easier to notice.   Place a drop of red gel icing in position for the eyes and a dab of black gel icing to make the pupils.  I used candy googly looking eyes instead that I found on the cake baking isle at the grocery store.  I figured this would be easier to do especially if you don't have a real steady hand to make the eyes with the gel icing.  These are easy to make and you don't have to be an expert to make them!


Another decorating idea is to create a spider web effect or you can also make bloodshot eyeballs.  You can use ready to decorate icing in red or black, starting at the center of the cupcake make a circular motion or spiral motion and go around and around from the center to the outer edge with the frosting.  Drag a toothpick through the icing starting at the center, making straight lines out to the edge of the cupcake.  Do this about 1/4 inch apart all the way around (about 5-6) times.  This is what gives the cupcake the spider web effect.  You could also spread white frosting on the cupcake surface and then use black or red in the spiral/spider web motion to create even better webs or bloodshot eyes.  Place a googly eye or use frosting to form the center of the eyeball.  (googly eyes may be a bit too small for this one)  Basically, just have fun and be creative!

No comments:

Post a Comment